Hi there, Remote Work Tribe, and welcome to another Weekly Roundup! You know the drill: Every week we give you the rundown on the latest remote work news and relatable threads (because we can all use a little laughter). A few weeks back, we touched on awful career advice we’ve heard over the years. But that trip down memory lane got us thinking… have you ever had an “expectations vs. reality” moment in your career?
You know, one of those moments that you thought you’d prepared for, just to realize you didn’t have a clue? Something you might have gone to school or trained for, just find your expectations were nothing like reality? These expectations vs. reality moments can apply to anything, from building a community or leading a team, to landing your first remote role.
It can even apply to tapping into a new community you didn’t even know existed! Case in point: This tweet from social media manager Dev Machette.
If you’ve personally never dealt with an expectations vs. reality moment, let this tweet from Director of PR & Social, Jen Hartmann, set the scene for you.
SEM? SEO? Investor relations? Sure, those might be run of the mill responsibilities for digital marketers now. But chances are, a ton of you reading this blog are thinking, “Yup, I did not sign up for that.”
All of these additional responsibilities might be why Personal & Corporate Brand Consultant, Gabriela Cardoza, fired off this hilarious and all-too-relatable tweet.
So, do you have an expectations vs. reality moment to share? Hit us up on Twitter to spill the details! But before you go, check out these other Slack-channel-worthy tweets to share with your team.
The Tribe’s Weekly Vibes
1. This awesome thread for first-time founders.
2. Also, this awesome thread of marketing newsletters.
3. This reminder to remain attentive to your work, even if you feel no one is looking.
4. This familiar rollercoaster of emotions.
5. This accurate look at how we all feel come 7 p.m.
6. This key message for leaders that there’s no place for silos while building trust.
7. This perfectly understandable question (the answer is definitely yes).
8. This thread of cringe-worthy triggers for digital marketers (ours is ‘rockstar’).
9. This reasoning as to why remote work > office work.
10. This helpful list of go-to remote working tools.