In this episode of the Remote Work Tribe podcast, we talk with Sonia Simone. We discuss subjects such as empowering your team to do their best work, becoming a better leader and ensuring expectations and outputs are aligned, building systems for growth, avoiding micromanagement, and much more.
- What are some of Sonia’s favorite articles? (00:50)
- What still holds today about Sonia’s article “The Right Way to Think About Google? (1:32)
- Worst advice Sonia has seen in decades of experience as a writer. (3:55)
- Sonia’s take on AI. (5:30)
- How can Sonia tell if a writer has the right skills for the craft? (7:20)
- How did she build a system to guarantee quality for all content back when she worked at Copyblogger? (9:06)
- What did the editorial team look like at Copyblogger Media? (11:40)
- What is Sonia’s philosophy when it comes to leadership? (13:30)
- How did Sonia learn to lead without expecting employees to embrace founder mentalities? (16:00)
- How can she self-correct from the tendency to become a micromanager? (18:20)
- How does Sonia empower team members? (21:00)
- How to set boundaries with your team. (23:05)
- How to embrace self-awareness as a founder without sabotaging your business and your confidence? (25:00)
- If she could return to her first time being a manager, what advice would she give herself and how to encourage an open feedback culture? (27:35)
- Some of the mistakes Sonia made when having difficult conversations with her team? (30:49)
- Additional tips for managing writers and editors. (32:58)
- What is Sonia’s focus right now? (35:27)
- Lighting round questions. (35:27)
We hope you enjoy it!
Links mentioned on the podcast.