In this episode of the Remote Work Tribe podcast, we talk with Alex Panagis, Founder & CEO at ScaleMath. We discuss leadership practices and how to promote accountability and transparency, some of the mindset shifts from leading an agency to building a product, how to help struggling teammates succeed, async alignment, and much more.
- Exciting projects Alex is working on these days? (00:30)
- How did the ScaleMath team decide to build a product? (1:30)
- Mindset shifts from managing clients as an agency to building a product. (2:43)
- How does Alex split his time between both client work and product work? (4:03)
- The importance of hiring people who own their work entirely. (5:39)
- How did they improve their hiring process to find suitable candidates? (7:42)
- How is the ScaleMath team structured today? (9:50)
- Some mistakes ScaleMath made when hiring at the beginning. (15:20)
- How does he determine when someone would fit well in async cultures? (17:04)
- Determining how someone is ready to move into a leadership position (19:19)
- Alignment in async work cultures. (21:09)
- Resources that helped him level up and become a better manager and improve hiring processes. (25:55)
- Promoting accountability and self-management in remote teams. (26:45)
- Approaching situations where teammates are struggling. (29:35)
- The importance of humility for founders. (34:00)
- Transparency in an async first culture. (35:30)
- Lighting round questions. (39:49)
We hope you enjoy it!
Links mentioned on the podcast.